Friday, January 14, 2011

Complete review of the BH cosmetics 88 Cool Shimmer Palette

Hello everyone!

So, as promised, I will be doing a complete in depth review of my 88 Cool Shimmer Palette by BH Cosmetics. Sorry for the long wait for it, I had to have ample time to test out EVERY color (well, almost every color, lol) and see what it was like!

First off all the packaging of this product is really streamlined and professional looking:



The black case has a patent to it and the big bold white lettering really just gives it a chic look. It being patent, however, allows finger smudges to show up very badly. I, being the clean nazi I am, wipe it off with a wet rag and allow it to air dry so it looks clean and untouched after every use! Also, I kept the small cardboard slip that it came shipped in and when I travel, I slide the palette itself back into the cardboard to prevent any scratches on the case. That's just me being very picky though ;)

One thing I was slightly disappointed in, was the size of the palette itself. The photos and video reviews by BH Cosmetic's obviously made it look much larger but, after much thought I feel it is an appropriate size. It allows for easy travel and storage.

Once you open up the palette after its arrival you'll notice the clear plastic sheet that covers the makeup. I HIGHLY recommend you do not trash that, as if you plan on traveling a lot it will just be one more insurance policy against your make up getting jumbled about.

I was instantly transfixed by the brightness of the colors! Everything is very pigmented and beautiful but, after my first few uses, I noticed how very powdery the formula's are. I'm glad I kept the plastic cover because just the gentle taps of my makeup brush would cause the shadows to dust up and it would get all over the outer rims. The plastic will keep the extra dust from getting into my other pigments.

Color quality when applied is good for the most part. The lighter shades of yellow, green, and blue need to be applied about 2-3 times for them to even stand out as a highlight color, while the darker shades just need a VERY gentle touch of the brush or else you are going to get too much color and look like a drag queen.

Here is an example of the colors provided:



My favorites to play with are the purples. They are very vibrant and rich, it makes a nice smokey purple eye for evening fun and different. The greens are VERY green. I mixed them with lighter shades of yellow and blues to create a peacock effect that I still wasn't 100% satisfied with and will be re-attempting on a later date. I am disappointed with the fact that there are only 2 true shades of orange and they are pretty much the same color. If you want to blend, you have to apply yellows several times to get a shade similar to an orange.

The browns and bronzes are very pretty and I feel the shimmer shows up the best in the more muted, neutral tones. I LOVE LOVE LOVE their selections of pinks. I am disappointed that in the Cool Shimmer palette that they do not include a lighter shade of red (Red is a very hard eyeshadow to come by, in the photos one of the colors looks similar to red but, in person is more of a brick color. In their other palettes they include reds).

All in all for the price you are paying you are getting your money's worth and more. This product isn't cheap but, comes close to high quality. I think with makeup theres no such thing as perfect, each product will have its flaws. For me BH Cosmetic's formula, pigments, packaging, and over all service will receive a 9 out of 10.

I hope you guys enjoy your day as much as I will enjoy mine, Patrick is coming over :D

OH IMPORTANT NEWS ABOUT THE GIVE AWAY
I DID remove the youtube video pertaining to the give away but, it is not cancelled for sure yet. Due to the lack of audience response it just may be put on hold. I really hate to cancel it. So now is your chance to redeem yourselves and get the give away back on schedule. Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel. If I don't have 75 subscribers, IT IS NOT HAPPENING :D

XOXOXO
Meagan

YouTube: www.youtube.com/therealmaeGUN

No comments:

Post a Comment